Monday, September 28, 2009

Low-Carb Cookbook Review - Low Carb Christmas Cookin' With an "Old-Fashioned" Cook by Jan McCracken

I love low carbing, but I'm getting so tired of the same old foods.

I wish I had time to figure out how to convert my family recipes to low
carb!

I love finding old recipes done low carb!

Do any of these comments sound familiar? They sure do to me; I've said
them all at one time or another. And they are so true-two years later and
I am still trying to find the time to try and convert some of my favorite old recipes, especially with the holidays arriving!

I am determined this holiday season to stick with my low-carb eating
plan, and I decided s00002099ince I couldn't find the time to convert my own
recipes, I needed to find some good alternatives. I hit the jackpot with
Low Carb Christmas Cookin' With an Old-Fashioned Cook by Jan
McCracken (Poppyseed Press, 2003).

Jan's brand new cookbook is an entertaining delight. Every page
delivers a smile, laugh or grin-and terrific recipes. Low Carb Christmas
Cookin'
is a colorful, easy-to-read, 224-page paperback book liberally
sprinkled with fun. From funny and sometimes outrageous photos of the
author mugging for the camera to anecdotes, homespun quotes, and
humorous ways to prepare recipes, all the way through I got a strong
sense of the fun and spirit of this feisty and entertaining lady.

Low Carb Christmas Cookin' isn't just fun. Though smiles lurk on every
page, the recipes are seriously good. The cookbook is broken into nine
chapters. Some of my favorites are, Dollops & Plops, Feliz Navidad
Low Carb Fiesta Christmas! and Holiday Affair with Chocolate. The
All Thru the House chapter has some great potpourri recipes, too.

I've tried several recipes from the book, and so far they are all keepers.
My mom adores Ole'It's Holy Guacamole! and I made the Staggerin'
Swiss Chicken for friends, and it was a huge hit. Other personal
favorites from Jan's book include, Pineapple Upside-Down French
Toast Casserole and Hot Cashew Chicken Salad. Since this is a
holiday recipe collection, you should expect that there are some recipes
that call for fruit, so for those on very low carbs you may need to watch
the portions, but Jan has done a good job of keeping her recipes low on
the low carb scale.

I just fell in love with the humor and joy so obvious throughout the entire
book, and I drooled over the recipes. Honestly, I'm not sure what I
enjoyed more, reading it or making the recipes. Either way, I will be
sending copies of this low-carb cookbook to low carbers on my
Christmas list and I know one old sugar grouch that will find one in his
stocking!

Low Carb Christmas Cookin' With an Old-Fashioned Cook by Jan
McCracken can be purchased through www.janmccracken.com.

Cherie' Davidson has been working as a Web copywriter, content editor, press release writer, Web reviewer and site marketing consultant for several years. You can contact Cherie and read more about her at her Website http://www.CherieDavidson.com and her humor blog cdwrites.blogspot.com.

Cooking rice
Cooking beef

No comments:

Post a Comment